Download the .zip file of the WooCommerce – Gift Cards Free Version.
There are 2 options to install the plugin on your website:
- Option 1: Unzip the files and upload via ftp to the wp-content/plugins folder.
- Option 2: From the WordPress dashboard, go to Plugins > Add New and click “Upload Plugin.”
Make sure you activate the plugin after installing.
Basic Settings can be found under WooCommerce > Settings and under the “Gift Card” tab. Options that can be edited here include:
- Allow customers to apply their gift cards towards tax, shipping, and/or fees.
- Customize “Add to Cart” button text.
- Customize gift card form label text.
- Display gift card form on cart page and/or checkout page.
- Option to send physical cards instead of emailed codes.
SELLING GIFT CARDS
SETTING UP GIFT CARD PRODUCTS
Simple Product – Multiple Gift Card Products for Each Gift Card Amount
Use this if you only have a handful set prices for gift cards you will be selling, as each one will require a new product (i.e., one product will need to be created for $25, another product will need to be created for $50, and so on).
- Go to Products > Add Product.
- Fill out the usual product fields such as title, description, product image, etc.
- In the “Product Data” box, set it to “Simple Product” in the dropdown and checkmark “Gift Card.”
- Set the gift card amount and publish the product.
Variable Product – Single Gift Card Product With Gift Card Amount Dropdown
Instead of creating separate products for each gift card price, you can set up a single variable product with price options and number of customizable fields for each price set.
- Create a new product by going to Products > Add Product.
- Fill out all fields that you normally would use for a general product. For instance, do not title it “$25 Gift Card” since you will be setting a variety of prices. Instead, title it something general, such as “Gift Card.”
- In the “Product Data” box, select “Variable” from the dropdown and checkmark “Gift Card.”
- On the left hand side of the Product Data box, select “Attributes” and click the “Add” button for “Custom Product Attributes.”
- Name your attribute something like “Price” or “Gift Card Amount” and set the value for each price range in Values box separated by a “|” . Make sure the “Used for Variations” is check marked.
- Select “Save Attributes” and click on “Variations.”
- Select “Create variations from all attributes” and click “Go.”
- You will now see all of the attributes you set up. Click to the right of one of the attributes you set.
- From here, you can set the prices for each attribute, a different image for each one, and a custom description for each one.
- Click“Save Changes” and publish your product.
Now, your customers can select the amount they want for the gift card!
MANUALLY ADDING GIFT CARDS AND SENDING EMAILS
You must manually create each gift card/recipient email for every order with the Free Version of this plugin. If you would like to have the gift card creation and recipient emails automated, check out our Pro Version!
The checkout process for a gift card is the same as any other product. After your customer successfully pays via your payment gateway, the gift card order will automatically show up under WooCommerce > Orders.
Setting Gift Cards and Sending Emails
- Go to WooCommerce > Gift Cards and select “Add New.”
- Take the information from the completed order (Found under WooCommerce > Orders) and fill out the fields available. Set and expiration date for the gift card, if you wish.
- On the right hand side under “Publish,” check mark “Send Gift Card Email.”
- The person you entered to receive the gift card when you added the gift card will get an email that looks similar to this (look depends on your default email settings for your website under WooCommerce > Settings > Email):
Once a gift card is set up, you can view the order info, the remaining balance the customer has left, and you can also adjust the value of the card by going to WooCommerce > Gift Cards.
REEDEMING GIFT CARDS
Now that the process is complete, your customer can apply the discount to their order during checkout. A link will appear at the top of the checkout that says “Have a gift card? Click here to enter your gift card.”
Note: The code should be entered for gift cards, NOT coupons.
All your customer needs to do is click on it, enter their gift card code and select “Apply.” They will get a notification saying “Gift card applied successfully” and the amount of the gift card will be removed from the total:
Looking for additional features and more customization options? Try our WooCommerce Gift Cards Pro Version* or one of the add-ons below! All of these add-ons are available in the Pro Version, but can also be purchased separately:
WooCommerce – Gift Cards | Pro Version
WooCommerce – Gift Cards | Auto Send Gift Card
WooCommerce – Gift Cards | Customize Card Numbers